raid-monitor for Xymon (and Hobbit)
Monitoring of RAID systems is essential as an unmaintained RAID system only takes longer to break completely. So you need to know the status of your RAID subsystems.
Instead of writing a custom check for each RAID system raid-monitor for Xymon
uses the following generic approach:
1. From a know-good state of the raidset a reference-file is generated in a manual "learning" or "configuration" step.
2. Each test-run compares the current state with that reference-file and if differences are found the
-column goes red (because anything differing from the know-good state has to be taken seriously to avoid potential data-loss).
Supported RAID systems
Modules for the following RAID-cards/-systems are included along with a sample-configuration that can easily be adjusted to the specific setup n other environments.
- 3ware/AMCC/LSI RAID-Cards via
- Areca based RAID-cards via the Areca CLI
- Adaptec (aacraid)
- Adaptec-based SAS/SATA unified RAID-cards (like the 5405 ...) via
arcconf CLI included in the package of Adaptec Storage Manager (ASM); this should also work for the IBM ServeRAID-Adapters as these are Adaptec OEM-parts.
- Linux software-raid (mdraid)
- Linux ~software-RAID (monitored via
- LSI MegaRAID
- LSI MegaRAID based cards, e.g. LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i, MegaRAID SAS 8704ELP and many "Dell PERC" controllers via
Beside the obvious requirement for a Xymon (or hobbit) system and a RAID system
the following is needed:
bash shell with array-support (bash 3.x and 4.x tested)
diff utility (GNU-diff tested)
sed(1) needed to generate a nice status-summary
tee(1) utility (used in debug-mode only)
- the raid-controller tools to fetch the status (e.g.
tw_cli for 3ware,
cli32|cli64 for Areaca, ...)
- most likely
sudo for executing the raid-tool as non-root (the Xymon user)
For more details see the
included in the tarball.
Copying and distribution of this package (raid-monitor for Xymon
), with or without modification, are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and this notice are preserved. This package is offered as-is, without any warranty.
list of recent CHANGES
v0.9.7, 2011-04-17: raid-monitor-0.9.7.tgz
v0.9.6, 2011-03-27: raid-monitor-0.9.6.tgz
v0.9.5, 2010-10-02: raid-monitor-0.9.5.tgz